Thursday, March 20, 2008

What I am: a Statement


Well...


I am a librarian. I am a professional dedicated to bringing more information and exchange of information and ideas. I am a gate keeper. I am more than a gate keeper, I am of a culture and its history. I help to help other professionals work to a common goal, the idea of library as a philosophy and not simple a building or place where the books are.

I am an extension of those ideas. I am those ideas. I am also an individual with talents, who has given his professional ambitions to a common interest and not to personal goals alone. I write, I read, I play the guitar, I draw, and I live for learning about the world and share my love of learning with others.

I look on the profession of librarianship as a living experience which evolves to the purposes of its culture and champions that cultures finest values. I consider the role of the librarian central to all cultures who wish to prosper from reflection and exchange of thought. The thought of a world without us is impossible to me.

I believe in technology and its place in my profession and as a tool to create new opportunities to create physical and virtual environments for all users to enjoy and learn and discover in. I believe in the ability of this technology to keep me alive and dynamic as a learner and user of technology. I believe in its endless possibilities and not in limits.

I look on the world and celebrate its diversity and invite other professionals from other heritages and backgrounds, other races, religions, and cultures to come and share with me their thoughts on librarianship, and what it means to be a librarian to their people. I wish to learn from them.

I want to share with others my beliefs and inspirations. I want to share my ideas and be part of ideas like my own.

I want to learn and learn everyday, I want to be evolving like the needs of my patrons and to invite them to the dialogue of what they believe library and librarian is.

Any thoughts?

No comments: