Sunday, February 3, 2008

Surving a Change of Command

New Boss Blues

Recently I was speaking by email to a friend who works in a nearby public library. She was telling me about how staff changes, along with most significantly a change in the directorship has left her feeling frustrated. Several of her long time co-workers (who were good friends) had been downsized and even her hours had been cut.

I began thinking of all the bad bosses I have had. Then I remembered the advice I have received over the years. Some of it has been good, some it worthless. But the following is good. Its not easy, but it does work. I brushed up on my points of reference so pay head to the link below. It is written by experts in managing employee relations.

Over all:

You must demonstrate a kind of proactive approach to circumstances in which face you. If you are not on the chopping block straight away there are lots of things you can do to make a difference.

The following is a synthesis from:

http://www.iaap-hq.org/ResearchTrends/same_job_new_boss.htm

1. This new person is not your old boss. Don't think of or treat this new leader like your old one.

2. Learn as much as you can about this new person. Don't bury yourself and hope that you will be left alone. Go to every meet you can and learn how your new boss works. Try and contact her previous employer and staff discretely and get the skinny from them about her.

3. Give her space. The first couple of weeks can be jarring for her as well as you. Don't expect to find her rather busy settling in. Don't be a buzzard. Be approachable, however.

4. Set goals with expected deadlines. As soon as you can, sit with her and discuss what her vision is of the library and what she expects from you. She will be glad to take the time to lay out expectations if she is a good director.

5. Continue to meet. This may be informal chats on the floor but that could be your directors way of communicating important instructions. Study her working habits. Is she out on the floor a lot or is she in her office on the phone all the time or avoiding you. That could be a very important sign. Some manager like to keep it informal. Others like to only discuss performance issues quietly.

6. Evaluating meetings. You may find at some point things change. Go with it. Smile. I have had circumstances as a supervisor myself where I had to enforce policy but did not have the option of explaining why, or even the change of a policy. Do not assume you know all the facts. Work to open communication on your part. Employees must have an open door policy if they want to succeed with their manager.

7. Be realistic. If after all of this you find there is a problem, and that you have remained open and flexible, that you haven't taken this new person for granted and given them a chance to do your job, then you can approach them to discuss your issues. If that doesn't work then your HR department can be approached.

I keep a journal of my work experiences and sometime I will record incidents so that I will have a clearer picture of what occurred. However, do not share your opinions too openly.

Be positive. My mother once told me after I came home from a job in a hardware store. (I had a new supervisor, the nephew of the owner of the store). She said I needed to sit still and stop complaining. She had just gotten home from work and was tired. She needed to cook dinner for us. The sink in the kitchen was full of dishes from breakfast and from that afternoon.She turned to me and said, David, watch closely. Slowly she pulled each dirty dish from the sink. She stacked them up neatly. She divided the spoons from the forks and dirty plates and bowls. She set the skillet to the side and then filled the sink with hot water and dish soap. She began cleaning them one at a time and setting them in the dish drainer. Eventually she finished. She dried the dishes and then put them away. Then she pulled down a glass from the cupboard and poured me a coke.

"You see? Now isn't that better?"

Any thoughts?

Here are some links about dealing with bad bosses. Good Luck!

http://www.techdarkside.com/?p=141

http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Goodwin77.html

http://positivesharing.com/2007/01/how-to-deal-with-a-bad-boss/

No comments: