Saturday, February 9, 2008

Come on People!

What is the Real Issue Here?

There is a story at Library Journal about the rape of a 6-year-old boy in the New Bedford Free Public Library, MA. Officials now want to restrict children to visiting the library and only under the supervision of their parents or adult guardian. In addition all visitors would be required to sign in with ID and there would be an increase of security and cameras.

I agree with all of these measures. They seem perfectly sensible to me and the response of authorities attempting to restore safety and order to a public sphere. So what's the duff? According to state authorities their is heavy price tag of $50,000 to supply these safety measures and the article goes on to state: The American Civil Liberties Union in Massachusetts cautioned that laws aimed at limiting where sex offenders can go will deter them from registering with local communities, as required, according to South Coast Today. The newspaper editorialized that “I.D. cards have questionable preventative value,” and “Barring any group from using a public library is virtually without precedent.”

There seems to be a sense of unreality to library politics at times. No one questions the absolute paramount importance of making our libraries, schools, and other public venues a haven for children. However, I have noted that some people seem to feel a strange kind of liberal guilt in the face of enforcing order on their environments. I consider myself a liberal. However, I am a sensible one. I understand that we live in a world of dangers. I also know that there is such a thing as evil. If I were a resident of that state I would have no problem with these security measures. I would insist on them. I am almost certain that most honest or like minded people like myself would agree that if that is what it takes it is far better than risking one more child.

Librarians and other civil servants are defensive when they should sometimes trust that the public would understand.I think it is absurd nonsense of the paper to suggest that there is no precedent. The horrible attack on this boy IS THE REASON FOR SUCH MEASURES. I am an uncle, to several nieces and nephew and feel a natural obligation as a librarian to support the cause of parents in making public ways safe. Everyone is familiar with the old saying: It takes a village to raise a child. Does that not mean that a community as a whole takes responsibility in making their public ways safe? If the Civil Liberty Union is so hungry for work may I suggest they go after the real criminals for a change? Why not start in Washington, for instance.

Any thoughts?


Here is a link to the story:

http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6528982.html

No comments: