Wednesday, January 30, 2008

OCLC Acquires EZproxy

Unversial Key

I recall from library school the comfort of having a single key to the door rather than a ring full of jangling id/passwords to remember. I preferred working in the comfort of my home. I seem to recall finding it distasteful and bothersome to have to share space with strangers. Plus I could research in my jammies, bathrobe and Spongebob house shoes (don't laugh).

This could make the gate keeping an easier job. But I wonder what problems may occur from it as well. Not to be a naysayer or Cassandra.

The product is especially popular with academic libraries, since it enables users to connect to all the institution’s licensed databases remotely from their own computers via a single authorized login maintained by the subscribing facilities.

That makes librarians the door man, but not the locksmith, which will remain under the control of the OCLC. One of the benefits will be that its creator Chris Zager will be taking on a year long stint as consultant to the OCLC. Eventually, says officials of the OCLC, it will be used in authentication in its WorldCat databases, too.

It will have its biggest impact on remote learners who cannot get to facilities and often require service from information professionals when the library is closed.

This is good. It has been a while since I used WorldCat. My memories of it were that it had its flaws. I hope that it is a developing and growing service just like any other search engine. Some times we are too fussy. Anyway this will change the game play a bit, I assume.

Any thoughts?

Here is the link to the story:

http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6527037.html

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Certainly this could make the gate keeping an easier job.

Resume Writing Services