Sunday, January 20, 2008

Dear Mr. Internet: Some Random Curses From the Print World

Low B Average and Beer for Everyone!

It seems everyone likes to bitch about Mr. Gates. This goes along with lamenting natural disasters and questioning if there is a God or not. The only trouble is we all know that Mr. Gates exists. His ubiquitous influence over all things PC in the world is troublesome for a lot of geeks and savvy users.

In an article (see link below) on year end caps gurus state their share of bitches about Microsoft Windows Vista and in another story I find that Microsoft has a large portion of a Mexican brewery, a recent acquisition. I wonder if this is a move into other markets, where one day Mr. Gates, Rupert Murdoch, and Oprah, along with a handful of moguls will carve up the earth into some Orwellian jigsaw puzzle.

What it means to live in a corporate world? About the same as living in the Christian world when the Vatican was the final word on power, money and of course (but not least) God. Complaints are issued. Users lose what is left of there partitioned mind of 1's and 0's but Mr Gates stays at the top like Oprah stays on the cover of her monthly, modestly named "O".

Is it all shouting in the wind? Perhaps. But like a blog it feels so right to let out a little steam when the error messages stack up and you feel as if it is a personal attack.

I was advised to steer clear of Vista for a couple of years. Its a beta release and there are going to be bugs, I was warned. Yet I kind of still want it. As crazy as it sounds I am a year behind on my Windows XP (awaiting service pack 3, due in a couple of months) and feel as if I am not legitimate. Some part of me feels as if I am writing this blog out on clay tablets in cuneiform.

What is about technology that is so spirit killing? Is it the helplessness? Is it just a matter of keeping up with the Jones? I can't say. There is something neurotic about technology. Living in the beta world can leave a librarian feeling exposed and useless. I want to shout. "Wait, I got all of these books and at least they don't respond with "illegal nonvirtual" or the humbuggery of "the server is down. Try again later." Print is print. It stays that way. Digital is like smoke. I thought I just read that. No, wait a minute.

Never mind...

Any thoughts?

http://gizmodo.com/336829/microsoft-year+end-report-card-b+

No comments: