Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Market: What do You Want?

Close Your Eyes....


Imagine you are a deserted beach and the waves are crashing down...just kidding. Really the technique of imaging has a practical application for the purpose of my post.

Recently I interviewed at a public library and one of the most interesting questions was: "Describe your ideal library to work in." It didn't take long for me to find the answer. For years I pictured myself behind some reference desk or in meeting concerning collections or staff matters. I pictured myself assisting patrons. I was great at my job, and I worked with others that were great at their jobs. We all loved our jobs.

My point is that high aspirations, no matter how fantasy based are like a compass. But the compass needs to be used with a map. That map is based on survey of past jobs. What did you like about them, and what did they teach you about professionalism and what suited you best.

It might be a good idea to stop and think long and hard about every job you apply for. Can you really picture yourself in that position. And if so, what would be some of your career goals in that job? Try it out. Make a list. How far do you wish to advance?

These may seem like questions for later on but they are not. For many of us library science is a second or even third career. It may be important to know exactly why we go into it. The following link is for some general questions that any job seeker may wish to consider:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_30/b3944430.htm

At become a librarian.org there are also some useful bits of information:

http://www.becomealibrarian.org/

No comments: